Thursday, May 21, 2015

(Don't) Drink The Water

When I learned that I'd be traveling to Germany, I expected to experience some culture differences. Obviously, the language barrier was going to be challenging. But as I've learned, it's actually not that bad. Cultural differences? Sure, there are some, but I didn't expect that. But one difference that I've been unable to fully get over is the availability of water.

Now, when I took German in high school, I'd learned that in Europe, it was very common to drink carbonated water. When I came here and was reminded of that, it wasn't too shocking. However, I still can't get over it. At home, I normally order a water whenever I go out to eat. I prefer drinking water. And it's free. However, in Europe, you really have to specify. If you go to a restaurant and ask for a water, or go anywhere and try and buy water, you have to be sure that you're getting plain water, otherwise you're going to pay for it (literally). Is the carbonated water bad? Not at all. But it's an adjustment.

If you're going to order it at a restaurant, that's fine. But be prepared to pay. And in several experiences so far, the water has actually cost more money than a beer. This, as an American, really surprised me. I couldn't imagine paying less for a beer in the US than for a glass, or even a bottle, of water. In Germany though, it's extremely common.

What I've learned? If I'm going somewhere, bring a water bottle. On any of the trips or times we've gone to class, I've learned to always have a water bottle, because I prefer plain drinking water. Yes, you'll have to fill it from the tap, but that's not such a problem to me, that's how I often do it at home anyways.

When traveling to Germany, I never expected one of my problems to be water, but here we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment